[Watchdogs] We were number one bad now we're number one good!

joesummy at moment.net joesummy at moment.net
Tue Feb 9 15:10:08 CST 2010

Ric and Watchdogs

Thanks for sharing.

Term Limits" are being proposed for the new bylaws. Four...three year
terms.

To view the bylaw revisions and proposed Members' Bill of Rights go to the
PEC web site (www.pec.coop) and follow the links.

In addition, PEC has finally added the Seven Principles of Coops to its
web site. I believe it is under Corporate Profile.

Joe Summy
Johnson City

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:15:24 -0600, Ric Sternberg <ricster at wildblue.net>
wrote:
> Dear Coop Friends,
>
> I just had to share this post from Mark Kresowik to the Public Power
> Reform list. Mark was one of the organizers of the conference in
Washington
> [...]
> the Socorro board in 2009 and immediately introduced bills to cap board
> member benefits and ensure transparency of meetings and elections.
>

> Farmers Electric Cooperative (IA) - Possibly the oldest co-op in the
> country, Farmers CEO Warren McKenna has been a staunch advocate for
> efficiency and renewable energy.  Small and old can still be good!
>

> Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative (MT) - Yellowstone vigorously
> defended keeping its rates low, to the point of suing its G&T to prevent
> them from building a new coal plant (Highwood)
>

> Homer Electric Association (AK) - The reform-minded efforts of Mike
> O'Meara and others at HEA have made this co-op the most progressive
> cooperative in Alaska
>

> Delta Montrose Electric Association (CO) - I know Bill pushed back a bit
> on this one, but when we first started this list, DMEA was one of the
top
> co-ops Justin listed as engaging members and being transparent.  I think
> their departure from the association, while not necessarily something we
> want to encourage (engagement may be better) does put them into this
list.

> Another CO co-op (whichever Bill/Wes/Justin think deserves it) - I know
> there is another good co-op, probably one of the co-ops Bill listed,
that
> deserves to be on this list
>

> Polk-Burnett (WI) - while certainly not at the top of the list, Jeff's
> efforts as board member are demonstrating that progress can happen when
> even a single good board member decides to take action and improve
> transparency.
>

> Worst List
>

> Cobb (GA) - Do I even need to give the reasons?  No elections for more
> than 2 years, federal investigations, trying to build more coal, and
> basically privatized the co-ops operations for personal benefit.  This
is
> the farthest thing from the history and foundation of what co-ops should
> be.
>

> Carroll (AR) - The folks in Arkansas can explain it better, but I also
> want to add in that they are a member of AECC, possibly the most
regressive
> G&T in the country on dirty energy issues.
>

> Intermountain Rural Electric Association (CO) - Again, do I need to give
> the reasons?  The CO folks can fill them in.
>

> Wolverine (MI) - Tom, you want to jump in with one of the individual MI
> co-ops, or give it to Wolverine as a whole?
>

> EKPC - a G&T that actually requested that some of the member/ratepayers
of
> their member co-ops not be granted intervenor status in a financing/rate
> case because they weren't members of EKPC itself.  Financially unstable,
> but still trying to build more coal than any other co-op in the country,
> except for maybe AECC.
>

> CoServ (TX) - Members lawsuit
>

> Golden Valley Electric Association (AK) - Where HEA is Alaska's best,
GVEA